Seniors: Work Off Some of That Tax Bill

Michele Taranto
Issue Date: 
March, 2019
Article Body: 

You’re retired, and might have thought those working days are over. But what about volunteering? What if you could volunteer and save some money at the same time? Information on the FY20 Norwood Senior Tax Work-Off Program has been released, and positions are available at the Norwood Senior Center and the Norwood Recreation Department.
The Town of Norwood accepted the program through a Special Town Meeting in March of 2004, and is open to Norwood residents 60 years of age and older. Participants are eligible to work off up to $750 in property taxes per year, based on the current minimum wage rate of $12 per hour.
At the Senior Center, the position is a front desk receptionist, where they will greet new members, provide tours, answer telephone calls, schedule appointments, and the senior bus communication. Last year, four residents took advantage of the program at the Center.
“The feedback of the program is great, and being here at the center really fills a void for some of our folks who really enjoy keeping busy,” Norwood Council on Aging Executive Director Kerri McCarthy said. ‘Once the volunteers complete their hours for their deduction, they continue to volunteer. I anticipate a much higher volume of participants this year.”
According to Recreation Director Travis Farley, specific positions for summer volunteering have not been identified yet.
Eligible Norwood residents who are interested in learning more about this program can visit, and scroll through Town News. There is an application that must be completed and returned to the Norwood Human Resources Department. For first-year participants, more information may be helpful in placing within a department, such as, a resume, department preference, hours available, and limitations. Applicants should also be aware that participation is not guaranteed with an application.

Also, according to the Norwood Town Treasurer, the money earned could be considered taxable income. If you have any questions or concerns regarding this application, the program or no longer wish to receive this notice ple Human Resources Department at (781) 762-1240, ext. 181 or email Sincerely,